Thursday, January 14, 2016

Napa Monday

Model's
After a good night's sleep I woke up to go to work Napa!  Yes!  I had the day off because my favorite godmother Auntie was in town with two of her friends.  Although their plans had been flexible (and good thing since the weather (boo!) had forced some outside activities cancellations), the Monday plan was pretty firm so we decided to meet up.

I'm so glad we did!  It had been a few years since I saw Maria and we had so much fun!  First, I drove up early in the morning to beat traffic (success!) and then I went to the Oxbow Market, which was closed for cleaning (fail!).  I did get a breakfast sandwich from Model's Bakery in order to try their famous English muffin, which was pretty good!  Then I headed up the 29 with a quick stop in Yountville to see Bouchon Bakery.  Unlike the last time I was there, the line was non-existent (yay!). I ordered two macarons for SMS and, almost unbelievably, they made it home without me eating them!  I also tried a small amount of croissant which was good, but it's been awhile since I've tried a croissant that I thought was truly sublime.  Maybe that's too lofty of a standard for a pastry or, at minimum, a little over-the-top for any kind of foodstuff?
Cardinale Tasting Room with a cool time-lapse photo of a single vine
Then, I went to the Cardinale winery and pulled up to the guesthouse where my aunt was staying.  Ok, ok, I may have also driven on a field road since I took my aunt's instruction of private road a little too literally, but fortunately, I didn't get stuck in the mud or end up in a ditch so all's well that ends well...
It's a warehouse!
The guesthouse was gorgeous and huge!  It used to be the winery owners' private residence and it was really amazing.  The views over the vineyards were incredible. Oakville is the center point of the valley so there were great views of the two mountain ranges and nearby wineries.  Immediately behind the house was a field with several small brown huts.  It's actually a disguised barrel cellar with a grass roof.  The huts are the vents and even though it's obvious that the grassy field has some sort of purpose, it's pretty neat how circumspect they've managed to make a storage facility.


We had a great tasting at Cardinale, sampling Mt Brave, La Jota and two Cardinale cabernet sauvignons, 2008 and 2012.  The most exquisite, sophisticated wine was the 2008 Cardinale but I really liked the Mt. Brave wine.  It was full of blue notes and tasted like the mountain.  *Sigh* Someday, I will be able to pull off wine comparisons.  I'll be honest- I stole the descriptors from our lovely and knowledgable guides since to me, it just tasted delicious!

After our tour, Maria and I headed to Mustards Grill for a great lunch with two of her cousins.  The food was delicious and we all talked a lot!  I had such a fun time and I hope I see my second cousins again soon!
The "cottage!"  My aunt is in the far left background.
Then, it was chill-out time at the "cottage."  We made a quick stop at Oakville Grocery, where we bought a delicious Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese.  We made a significant dent in it when we got home.  Then it was time for me to head back to the other Valley (Silicon).  *Le sigh!*  But I couldn't be too sad because I had such a wonderful day and to see my auntie was a (too) rare treat!
Warehouse view at twilight- end of a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment