Thursday, January 1, 2015

Reflection on 2014

Well, I started this list in 2011 (after finding it on another blog) and I really like continuing the trend of reflecting back on the year.  I like the summary without being too self-consciously deep.  It's funny how some of the answers are pretty much the same 2-3 years in a row (4, 12, 16, 15,17).  So, here we go...

1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Passed my oral boards to become a board-certified otolaryngologist.

2.  Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolutions last year were vague.  This year, I would like to use my time more as a gift, rather than something to waste or let go mindlessly.  This article from Brain Pickings focuses on the writings of Seneca to offer guidance and wisdom on the topic.  Also, I slacked off a little bit on exercising and I'd like to get some inspiration on consistency from the older Japanese folks who are always out exercising on the seawall near our house.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two college friends.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No

5. What countries did you visit?
Singapore, Japan, Canada

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
A whole year of living in the same place as my husband, although things have been pretty awesome since May!

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
10 May 2014: SMS arrives in Japan!

Aug 2014: Our trip to Oregon for Laddie's wedding and sightseeing in Portland!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Passing my boards

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not matching to an ACGME neurotology program

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets!

12. Where did most of your money go?
Travel, rent, savings

13. What did you get really excited about?
Seeing a LOT of Japan.  At this point, the two places outside of the local Yoko-Yoko-Tokyo area that I still want to see are Sapporo (Feb 2015) and Kanazawa (hopefully long weekend, TBD).

14. What song will always remind you of 2014?
"Happy" by Pharrell Williams

15. Compared to this time last year, are you: 
– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? Weigh the same but less toned without my Pilates (*eyeroll at myself*)
– richer or poorer? Richer (continuing to save)
16. What's one thing you wish you had done more of?
Meditate.  Really, there are so many studies saying it's good for a person and their brain- I really want to give it a sincere shot.  I've started doing 3 minutes a day on most days and I think it's calming and leading to more even-keeled responses.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Same thing as last year- read stupid websites.  This is one of the things I'm focusing on eliminating as part of living widely.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Here's a post, but the short version is SMS and I exchanged gifts.  I got an Instamax 8!  We spent the afternoon and evening with friends.  It was a lot of fun and felt very full of Christmas cheer!

19. What was your favorite TV program?
House of Cards; Orange is the New Black, Season 2

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami; The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
This wasn't the year of new bands, or even new-to-me.  I still love The Killers.  I also listened to Beyonce's new releases and I'm looking forward to listening to more Ok Go.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I saw more movies this year due to my many trans-Pacific flights.  My favorites were The Grand Budapest Hotel and Guardians of the Galaxy.  I have to confess, I had to look up movies in order to see what came out this past year- movies aren't really high up on my list of things of how I entertain myself.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
34.  My birthday was spent cramming for the boards but 31 March was a great dinner with SMS at Fig & Olive followed by a small birthday party at his grandfather's house.  It was so fun and really sweet to have a birthday celebration even during a time of significant stress.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Things worked out the way they did and it's time to go forward from there.  I'm looking forward to our upcoming move and my future training.  SMS and I continue to grow in our marriage and it's a lot of fun.  I think we each picked a keeper :)

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Classic with some trendy pieces.  I'm going to pare down this year on the stuff that's just hanging around, mostly things that almost look right but not quite.

26. What kept you sane?
SMS, family, deep breathing, perspective checks, reading, exercising at least a few times a week.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
It's time to start turning potential into action.  A large part of why I did not match to a neurotology program is my lack of research, which I had the ability to address but I did not finish the paper.  I need to work on continuing on my enthusiastic starts into completed projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment