Saturday, January 3, 2009

Working Out!

My first year of med school, I lived with four guys in an Adams Morgan house. The whole situation emerged from Craigslist.org and emails so I'm lucky that I didn't live with a group of serial killers. Overall, they were nice guys although the condition of the kitchen and general "permanent acquaintance" level of our living arrangement led to tension by the end. I mean, really, just because you can place a piece of trash on a carefully balanced mountain emerging from the full trash can without causing it to fall over, doesn't mean you should say, "Ha! Someone else will have to take out the trash. Sucker. In your face!" Playing Jenga with the kitchen trash is not my idea of a good time.

But anyway, back to the title of the post. One day, my roommate whom I thought looked like a male Olive Oyl because he was so skinny and tall announced he was going to the gym. "Have fun getting buff!" I said.

"Buff-ER," he said, woundedly.

Well, really, I don't think his feelings were hurt until he saw the look that crossed my face at the response. I believe it was an expression of complete incredulity that he would actually be serious in thinking buff applied to him in any way. I didn't MEAN for that expression to cross my face- it just did.

Anyway, my fitness routine has been a little lackadaisical during my time in SD. I never really tried too hard to fit it into my new schedule. I mean, I did workout, just much less frequently than before. Although there's no permanent damage, in the spirit of all that is New Year's, blah, blah, blah, I've resolved to be better about the whole deal. (I'm actually a HUGE New Year's Resolution fan, just not on a blog).

PLUS, I need to start training for the Camp Pendleton Mud Run! I am so excited! I have wanted to do this ever since running a baby Mud Run (still 5 miles) at Little Creek, VA during my internal med rotation as a third year. Today, I went for a run near Sunset Cliffs and Cabrillo National Monument. It was great but WAY hilly. There was a particularly gnarly hill smack in the middle of the run. But I got through it.

At one point though, my heart was beating pretty quickly. It made me laugh because a workout dvd I've been doing recently has one section where the woman states she wants me to work so hard, I should feel like I am "gargling [my] heart." Eeewwwww! I haven't quite gotten to that point anytime in recent memory. Really, the only times may have been high school cross country and during the mud run in 2005. Competition does that to me. Although I never ran so hard that I threw up. I've come close on a few occasions, but that's a line I completely refuse to cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment