Friday, September 5, 2008

Compartmentalization!

For how complex life is, it's funny how certain things can fit into relatively tidy boxes. I feel that I am pretty good at compartmentalizing, mostly b/c my life seems to consist of little Acts (like a play). Most of it centers on places I lived as a child, then I move on to my varying stages of schooling- high school, college, med school. Then Kitty Hawk time and now I'm in my newest phase, Residency.

Why do I bring this up? Because I spent a good part of the day cutting on dead people. Isn't that weird? I mean, it's totally essential for surgical training (do NOT believe the hype about 100% simulation, it's doggie doo). But really, dead people. I most certainly do not see dead people in the rest of my day-to-day existence and I must confess, I would be more than a little FREAKED!OUT! if I did. But in the lab. No biggie. For the most part. Occasionally there's a whiff I just can't shake. But I'm doing well now. Why? B/c I'm home, relaxing, thinking about how awesome life is, and looking forward to tomorrow when I get to repair fractures that staff inflicted. Well, maybe not the waking up at 6:30 on a Saturday bit, but the plating? Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment