Saturday, January 5, 2008

Magic 8 ball, meet iPod

New Year's fortune time! Since I can't read the fortune cookies here (they're in JAPANESE!!!), I will play a game with my iPod on shuffle mode. I didn't like Round 1 completely, so I gave it another go with Round 2. You can read it straight-through or after round 1, proceed back to the top, flowchart style! The questions are from another globe-trotter's blog, someone whom I've never met. Embarrassing? Slightly. But not as much as some of the songs that come up...read on!
*******************************************************************

How does the world see me?
“You’re Crazy” Guns and Roses
- Um, well, at least listening to the lyrics makes this seem slightly better. Kind of?

Round 2: “Bye Bye” Jo Dee Messina
- Well, I am off to exciting West Coast adventures!

Will I have a happy life?
“For You” Bruce Springsteen
-Hmmm, this may end poorly.

Round 2: “Out Ta Get Me” Guns N Roses
- This category may need to be striked

What do my friends think of me?

“Me and Mr. Jones” Amy Winehouse

- Hey, I’m downright old lady in my partying ways by this point!

Round 2: “Almost Home” Mary Chapin Carpenter
- Cute

How can I make myself happy?

“Sexy Back” Justin Timberlake
-Well! I would tell my parents to shut their eyes except that if you actually listen to the lyrics of this song, they make no sense.

Round 2: “Brilliant Disguise” Bruce Springsteen
- Yes, more Bruce! I agree!

What should I do with my life?

“Escape” Enrique Iglesias
-Argh, this only came up to show the guilty pleasures I have on my Ipod. Why can’t this list be super cool like the majority of my library, I swear!

Round 2: “ I Hope” Dixie Chicks
- Hope! Yes, indeed!

Will I ever have children?

Bobby James N*E*R*D
- I guess that’s a yes. But considering “Young and passed out” is part of the chorus, I better read some parenting books before I endeavor on this one!

Round 2: “ Give a Little Bit” Supertramp
- Magic 8ball says, “Highly Likely”

What is some good advice for me?

“Dance of the Snowflakes” Tchaikovsky
- I am going to take this one to be a reminder to stay current with other interests during the insane next few years of residency.

Round 2: “Bubble Pop Electric “ Gwen Stefani
- Akihabra, electric town!

How will I be remembered?
“Today” Joshua Radin
- Well, this is a nice one.

Round 2: “Carolina on my Mind” James Taylor

What’s my current theme song?
“When You Were Sweet Sixteen” Perry Cuomo
- A song I have because of my grandparents. It expresses a truly lovely sentiment.

Round 2: “Ring the Alarm” Beyonce
- Fiesty!

What do others think my current theme song is?

“Boys Don’t Cry” The Cure
- I have limited, but verifiable, evidence to the contrary

Round 2: “Time to Move On” Tom Petty
- I have definitely made this a theme song at both college and med school graduations. I am leaving Japan soon and my adventures in primary care shipboard medicine…

What shall they play at my funeral?

“ Suspicious Minds” Elvis Presley
- I did sing this one night at a bar in San Diego with Christy and Liz. Please note, that Liz and Christy were NOT joining in the fun. Which may have been better in terms of looking awesome since the song has limited words so there is a lot of repetition. Add to that some Sangria to produce amazing mind melt and you MAY only remember the chorus and a bit of lyrics. I still had a beer bought for me though!

Round 2: “Amy’s Song” Joshua Radin
- I listened to this song for the first time in its entirety. Theme? Ambivalence. The love/hate type, not the completely incorrect connotation of wishy-washiness that’s made it into modern lexicon (Whew, snob alert! Over here!)

Where should I look for inspiration next?
“ Anything Goes” Guns N’ Roses
- Axl Rose, get out of my head!

Round 2: “Caring is Creepy” The Shins
- “This band will change your life” Blaugh! Did anyone hate Garden State as much as I did? Although the Shins are better than that movie, by far.


No comments:

Post a Comment